So i soldered up the pins (or James did), and powered it up. Nothing, so read the guide. It defaults to flash every 8-12 mins. So i added the jumper to test the other options. It seemed like it had loads of potential, but some of the default scrolls and patterns seemed jumpy. So i started over. :D
The grid layout of LEDs is complex. The rows of 8 LEDs are actually the first 2 rows of the 1st chip and not in the same positions. e.g. Row 0 B11110000 and Row 1 B00001111 will turn on all the LEDs in the top row. So this was going to be fun.
I used a 2 dimensional boolean array (8x8) as what i wanted to see and mapped that to the actual LED layout. So i simply change the boolean array to say what should be on/off and then map and print that to the LEDs via the chips. It works beautifully. I can set rows and columns and work with it very easily now.
So once i got that setup i decided to do the pattern i had my heart set on. Random in and out so it is almost like a fade. I really like this one, it took a few goes to get it looking right, and being random it doesn't always look perfect, but im happy with it now.
Then i looked at shapes, i applied the Logo on the back of the PCB as one option, but when difused the image isnt easily seen, but it isnt horrible. :)
Here are a couple of videos of what it can currently do:
So it is now ready for me to decide on when it should be used and add in the triggering, i have started working on the spreadsheet, and hope to have the I2C stuff added this week. Then i need to cut the hole in the dome and im good to go. :)