I have been looking at the pad setup on and off for a while. Trying new methods, different arduino/xbees, boxes, configurations etc.
But Felix is working away on a custom PCB for the BHD setup that will make a big difference to the pad set up. While awaiting that i was told that the Floureon batteries i was using are now hard to find.
The key thing with a battery is that it has on/off not just on. And also that the minimum current draw of the battery allows the pad to stay on.
So i ordered the direct replacement: New Floureon Battery
This is smaller, lighter, the same power and functionality. So free positives. :D Also this battery includes a torch option, so another useful addition.
The new BHD 2.0 wiring only needs one USB supply on the pad now, so this weekend i swapped the battery over and redid the leads. It is much better. The weight is down, the balance is improved and the overall footprint is less.